Did you know you can recycle dry-cleaning bags, plastic wrap (from paper towels or toilet paper, for example) at New York grocery stores? While you may have seen the required plastic bag recycling bins, and switched to the reusable bags they’re required to sell, there’s more you can put in those bins.
Most stores will also accept the following materials (check with your store for details):
- Plastic retail bags with string ties and rigid plastic handles removed
- Plastic newspaper bags
- Plastic dry-cleaning bags
- Plastic produce bags with all food residue removed
- Plastic bread bags with all food residue removed
- Plastic cereal bags with all food residue removed
- Plastic frozen food bags with all food residue removed
- Plastic wrap from paper products (paper towels, etc)
- Plastic stretch/shrink wrap with all food residue removed
- Plastic zipper-type bags with plastic closing mechanism removed
Make sure all materials are clean and dry, and you can’t include plastic bags with strings, rigid handles, or other closing mechanisms.